• How to Give

    You may make gifts to the Ross School Endowment Fund by sending it to PO Box 582, Ross, CA  94957. If you have questions or wish to discuss your gift, you can reach Members of the Endowment Advisory Board by contacting the Ross School Foundation Secretary at (415) 460-1438.

    The Ross School Endowment Fund (RSEF) consists of gifts made to the Fund over time and held in perpetuity. The goal of the RSEF is to provide funds from its investment income to the Ross School District as presently configured. The purpose of Ross School Endowment Advisors (RSEA) is to raise funds and make investment allocation and distribution decisions for the Ross School Endowment Fund (RSEF) of the Marin Community Foundation (MCF). 

    The Ross School Endowment assets are held in a segregated account with the Marin Community Foundation (MCF).*  By pooling the Endowment Fund‘s assets with the MCF funds, greater returns are expected over time. Also the affiliation allows greater flexibility in the type of gifts that can be made. (See more information below.) Direct donations should be made payable to the Marin Community Foundation and noted in the Reference they are for the benefit the Ross School Endowment Fund.

    * If you need to establish the Fund as a Tax Deductible Charitable Entity, the MCF’s Tax Identification Number (TIN) is 94-3007979.

    Current Giving 

    The Ross School Endowment Fund accepts donations of cash and marketable stocks and bonds. All levels of gifts, large and small are greatly appreciated and will be recognized in the Endowment’s Annual Report to the Community. Permanent Recognition is provided on the Donor Wall in the school for large gifts. Gifts above $25,000, $50,000, $100,000, $250,000, $500,000 and those at $1,000,000 and above are each provided unique levels of recognition on the Donor Wall across from the School Library.

    Pledges funded over five years are recognized as current gifts. The Endowment also accepts and recognizes lifetime pledges and those gifts given through various longer term arrangements, considered Planned Giving such as those discussed below.

    Planned Giving

    Planned giving affords us an opportunity to make donations to the Ross Endowment and to leave a lasting legacy to our children and grandchildren while achieving many of our estate-planning objectives. Some giving opportunities and planned giving that you may want to consider and discuss with your advisors are the following:

    Current Assets


    Each individual legacy greatly contributes to the fund's financial stability. You can donate a pecuniary or specific bequest that designates a specific dollar amount, a particular asset or a fixed percentage of your estate. You can also leave all or a portion of your residuary estate to the Endowment Fund after you have provided for all other beneficiaries by specific bequest. The Endowment Fund can be a contingent beneficiary of your estate if you stipulate that the fund will receive all or a portion of your estate if your named beneficiaries do not survive you: 

    Charitable Gift Annuities:

    If you are planning for retirement or currently wish to maximize spendable income, appreciate the value of deferring capital gains taxes, desire the security and predictability of a fixed income, and would like to benefit the Ross School Endowment Fund, then a charitable gift annuity may be right for you.

    A charitable gift annuity is an arrangement whereby you contribute cash or marketable securities in exchange for the Endowment Fund's promise to pay you and, if you wish another annuitant, a guaranteed income for life at a rate based on the age(s) of the annuitant(s).

    If you prefer to delay receiving income for some period of time, you may make a deferred payment charitable gift annuity contribution. Making a present transfer of assets while deferring the start of income payments will enable you to increase your income tax deduction or to increase the amount of the annuity payments.

    As there are administrative costs involved, we would recommend a minimum of $100,000 order to establish a charitable gift annuity. 

    Pooled Income Funds:

    If you seek the protection of a diversified investment portfolio, appreciate the opportunity to select a suitable combination of investment yield and growth, and want to provide future financial stability for the Endowment Fund, then you may wish to consider a pooled income fund gift. A pooled income gift is particularly appropriate if you anticipate making additional life income gifts. A pooled income fund combines and invests your gift of cash or marketable securities (excluding tax-exempt bonds) with the gifts of others and pays your proportionate share of the fund’s yield each year to you for life, or to persons whom you designate for their lifetimes.

    We ask for a minimum initial contribution of $100,000 to a pooled income fund. Subsequent contributions may be as low as $1,000.

    Charitable Remainder Trust:

    A charitable remainder trust would allow you to retain income or to provide an income for someone else, provide individualized management of your gift. A charitable remainder trust is a separately invested irrevocable trust you create by designating a person or persons to receive income payments of at least 5% annually and transferring cash, marketable securities, closely held stock or real property to a trustee you select. At the conclusion of the income payments, the trustee would pay the trust principal to the Ross School Endowment Fund.

    A charitable remainder trust would involve your attorney and some administrative and start-up costs. Therefore, you probably should not consider such a gift arrangement for amounts less than $50,000.

    Charitable Lead Trusts:

    If you would like the capital value of marketable or income-producing assets to remain in your family, but can afford to give the assets’ income stream to the Endowment Fund now and for some time to come, then a charitable lead trust may be right for you. Again, because a charitable lead trust involves administration costs and some start-up costs in the form of legal or financial advice, you probably should not consider such a gift arrangement for amounts less than $50,000.

    Non-Cash Assets

    Real Estate:

    You may wish to make a current gift of all or a fractional interest in a personal residence, a vacation home, undeveloped land, or a commercial property. Such gifts will entitle you to a federal income tax deduction equal to the fair market value of the property on the date of your gift, provided you have owned the property for more than one year, and will permit you to avoid capital gains tax on the transfer. The Fund can accept most all types of assets.

    A Remainder Interest in a Personal Residence:

    If you own a primary residence, a second home, or a farm and do not wish to dispose of such property in your estate, but do wish to continue to use the property, then you may give the Endowment Fund a remainder interest in that property. This type of gift: (1) Allows you to remain in your home for your lifetime. (2) Causes the property to pass automatically at your death to the Endowment Fund and (3) Would generate a current income tax deduction equal to the value of the Endowment Fund's remainder interest calculated by subtracting the present value of your retained life estate from the fair market value of the property.

    Marketable Securities:

    An outright gift of appreciated marketable securities is one of the most attractive methods of realizing your charitable intentions. With a gift of appreciated stock you will receive a federal income tax deduction equal to the fair market value of the securities on the date of your gift, provided you have owned the securities for more than one year and in addition you will avoid capital gains tax on the transfer.

    The members of the Ross School Endowment Advisors (RSEA) and/or representatives from the Marin Community Fund would be happy to meet with you or your advisors to discuss any of the above in more detail.  We would be happy to answer any questions you might have.